OM System Launch

 I'm amused by the online discussion about OM Digital Solutions twin announcements this month -- a new brand name for its cameras and lenses and its first lens with that name. Numerous Olympus users are blowing second-guess smoke (nothing new there) over the merits of these two decisions by the new company formed by the venture capital company that acquired Olympus. So, allow me to stoke the fire a bit, too.

The lens cap with the replacement branding for Olympus -- OM System

First, OM Digital Solutions scheduled an hour-long live-stream program to reveal the name chosen to replace Olympus for its brand of cameras and lenses and to unveil its first lens. Selection of OM System as the new brand name was brilliant. The name links with the work of designer Yohihisa Maitani, who created the Olympus OM System, an innovative and extremely-successful line of smaller and lighter full-frame 35mm film cameras and accessories to compete with Nikon and Canon. 

The program itself was a failure. The presenters were unprofessional as communicators. The program was boring and too long. The mixing of professionally-produced video with the in-studio hokum drew attention to the dabblers in the studio. Focus on the new branding should have been the sole purpose, but attention on the brand was diverted by the promotion for the first new lens with the OM System brand.

The M.Zuiko Digital 20mm f1.4 PRO lens, first lens with the new OM System brand

Second, the new lens -- a 20mm PRO lens that's smaller and lighter than the Olympus 17mm f1.2 PRO and the 25mm f1.2 PRO. The live-stream program promoted the lens with outdoor adventure video without significant acknowledgement most consumers will likely use it for other kinds of photography. 

The soon-to-be-released OM System M.Zuiko 20mm f1.4 PRO will sell for $799.99 USD, almost half the price of the M.Zuiko 25mm f1.2 PRO. Among the features of the new compact 20mm: dust and splash-proof; fast auto focus, edge-to-edge sharpness with soft, feathered bokeh; minimum focusing distance just over 9 inches, giving it near-macro capabilities.

Missing from this new lens are the focus clutch and the L-FN button, features found on most of the previously-released Olympus PRO lenses. This will be a deal-breaker for only a few MFT users, in my opinion.

Some of the Olympus naysayers are questioning the decision to make the M.Zuiko Digital 20mm f1.4 PRO the first to be offered under the OM System brand. I say, "It's about time!" A pro-level 20mm lens has been missing from the micro four thirds lineup.

After switching to the micro four thirds system with purchase of an Olympus E-M5 in 2012, the first prime lens I acquired was the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7. I loved the small size, light weight, perspective and sharpness of that lens. But auto focus was too slow. I eventually replaced it with the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8.

The 17mm f1.8 provides close to the same perspective as the Lumix 20mm f1.7. The lens was among the first Olympus MFT lenses with the manual-focus clutch. The 17mm works for low-light situations on my E-M1 III and my PEN-F. Like the Lumix 17mm, the bokeh is often unpleasant, and the perspective is not the same.

As my kit of MFT equipment has evolved, I have acquired lenses with better bokeh rendering. However, the M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f1.2 PRO was the only one of the original Olympus prime trio I bought. Those three lenses are all too big, too heavy and too expensive. My 25mm PRO often stays in my bag on on the shelf because of its size and weight.

But, I'll finally have a 20mm prime again. I have preordered the OM System M.Zuiko 20mm f1.4 PRO and will sell my 25mm PRO and M.Zuiko 17mm f1.8. I should come out a few bucks ahead and have a prime lens that stays on my camera much longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Access Version

Final Corner for My Holy Trinity

Hope for Simplifying Image-Editing Workflow