OM Digital Solutions M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25mm F4.0 PRO

A few days ago I acquired the new OM Digital Solutions M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25mm f4.0 PRO lens, replacing three lenses in my micro four thirds kit. (I had to shop around before I finally found a source with the 8-25mm in stock.)

This is the first lens marketed by OM Digital Solutions, the name chosen by JIP which purchased Olympus Imaging in January of this year. Priced at just under $1,100 USD, the lens retains the traditional Olympus branding. I have yet to take the 8-25mm on a trip, but I have been well pleased with images captured in my local area.

Since its release in late 2016, my travel lens of choice has been the Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO, currently selling for just below $1,300 USD. It has been on my camera on every long-distance adventure, shooting both indoor and outdoor scenes. Unfortunately, architectural and other ultra-wide situations required a lens change, a poor option when traveling with other people or in a tour group.

The M.Zuiko 8-25mm f4.0 PRO (left) and the M.Zuiko 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO (right) in collapsed mode with a B+W filter but no hood.

My decision to buy a companion to this lens came as a result of my experience with the 12-100mm and the many positive reviews of the M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25mm f4.0 PRO. However, I was surprised at the dearth of comparisons of the these two variable-focal-length lenses. Which is better? Here's my view.

First, my biases. In virtually all situations I shoot handheld and raw, not jpeg. I want sharp images but am not a pixel-peeper concerned about slightly softer edges or noise (because of advances in noise-reduction software). Nor am I fused to the notion of shooting every image at 200 ISO. Auto ISO works well for me.

The front of the two lenses is the same size, 72mm.

For storage, the M.Zuiko 8-25mm f4.0 PRO has a unique feature, requiring turning the focal ring past the 8mm mark to achieve full collapse. However, that's a feature easy to get used to using. From the perspective of this enthusiast amateur photographer, there is no significant difference between these two M.Zuiko PRO lenses except the field of view.
  • The aperture range of each is f4 to f22;
  • Both use image stabilization to compensate for the slower f4 aperture value
    • The 12-100mm has built-in 2-axis image stabilization, working with the 5-axis IBIS of premium Olympus bodies, equivalent to almost 7 f-stops;
    • The 8-25mm has no built-in IS because at that range, the camera's 5-axis IBIS is sufficient;
  • Each lens has tack-sharp focus, and there's no problem shooting wide open;
  • Both lenses have high-speed auto focus;
  • Both lenses have the manual-focus clutch ring, an Olympus feature I use often;
  • Each lens takes a 72mm screw-on filter;
  • There's no appreciable difference in weight (I weighed without the plastic hood but with a B+W premium screw-on filter):
    • 12-100mm weighs 19 ounces;
    • 8-25mm weighs 16.5 ounces;
  • Each lens can be used as a semi-macro;
    • 12-100mm closest focus 6 inches wide, 18 inches tele;
    • 8-25mm closest focus 9 inches at all focal lengths;
  • Both lenses are weather sealed, splash and dustproof, although the smaller lens may have a slight advantage because of new lens-coating technology developed since the 12-100mm was introduced;
  • Each lans has an L-FN button for assignment of one of many function operations when attached to an Olympus MFT camera;
  • Both lenses come with a plastic lens hood.
The two lenses shown fully extended to their maximum focal length.

So, should an Olympus enthusiast buy the M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25mm f4.0 PRO lens?
  • Yes, if most of your photography is ultra-wide-to-normal-shot situations;
  • Yes, if you travel by air, needing to keep the camera gear to a minimum;
  • Yes, if you hike or bike locally, needing to restrict your gear to a single camera and lens;
  • Maybe, if you already own the M.Zuiko 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO. That depends in part on your ultra-wide needs.
If your choice is to buy this lens, I think you will be pleased with its performance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Access Version

Final Corner for My Holy Trinity

Hope for Simplifying Image-Editing Workflow